ibiblio-announce - [ibiblio-announce] PHP-5.2.6 upgrade complete

ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: ibiblio services/changes announcement list

  • From: Don Sizemore <dls AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ibiblio-announce] PHP-5.2.6 upgrade complete
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 10:08:07 -0500 (EST)

Hi ibiblio-announce,

We've completed the web cluster upgrade to PHP version 5.2.6, and are testing services now. Many thanks to Cristóbal Palmer for his patience and wrangling with the newer PHP-5.2.6 and its screwy build requirements on ibiblio's RHEL machines. Please see his original note about testing your sites under the new PHP on www-dev.ibiblio.org/test.ibiblio.org:

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/ibiblio-announce/2008-September/000232.html

Undoubtedly there will be things to fix, but so far things look very, very good. Cristóbal's build includes the Suhosin protection system, which should help make web cluster compromises (and outages) a memory.

Note that we necessarily upgraded the PCRE libraries, so regular expressions in older .htaccess files may bonk. If you roll your own code on ibiblio, you may be bitten by either the Suhosin patches or the allow_url_include directive, which defaults to off. This URL_include directive by itself is believed to stop 90% of PHP compromises.

As always, we thank you for continuing to host your sites with ibiblio, and ask that you submit any problems, questions or suggestions via
http://www.ibiblio.org/help/

thank you! 919.962.5646 w
donald sizemore, ii 919.260.4915 c
ibiblio.org systems 919.962.8071 f

  • [ibiblio-announce] PHP-5.2.6 upgrade complete, Don Sizemore, 02/03/2009