ibiblio-announce - [ibiblio-announce] MySQL upgrade REMINDER for 0500 EDT 05/27/2008 -TOMORROW-

ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: ibiblio services/changes announcement list

  • From: "Ken Chestnutt" <ken AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: webgroup AT lists.ibiblio.org, ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ibiblio-announce] MySQL upgrade REMINDER for 0500 EDT 05/27/2008 -TOMORROW-
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 08:45:57 -0400

Greetings ibiblians,

This is a reminder that we will be upgrading the MySQL database (mysql.ibiblio.org) at 0500 EDT 05/27/2008.

You can find the time in your time zone by clicking this link:
http://tinyurl.com/6lsc8d

== Executive Summary ==

* ONLY SITES powered by a MYSQL DATABASE are affected
* furthermore, ONLY SITES with a database on MYSQL.IBIBLIO.ORG (AKA
 DB1.IBIBLIO.ORG) are affected.
* mysql.ibiblio.org will experience a 90-minute service interruption
 on 05/27/2008 from 0500 EDT until 0630 EDT.
* mysql.ibiblio.org will have its MySQL database server software
 upgraded to the current stable version, 5.0.51a during that time.
* Users are encouraged to make regular backups using mysqldump and
 store them on non-ibiblio hardware.

== Full Announcement ==

We are pleased to be able to schedule and announce downtime for
mysql.ibiblio.org. We have been providing reliable access to MySQL
version 4.0.27 for quite some time, but have been eager to upgrade to
the current stable release, 5.0.51a. We can now do that.

In order to make this transition safely, i.e. in a manner that will
minimize potential for data loss, we are scheduling a 90-minute
service interruption while we roll out the upgrade. Even with the
carefully-planned upgrade and a backout strategy, there are still
minimal risks, so we encourage all users with databases on
mysql.ibiblio.org to perform a manual backup late this week. Please
store your backups off-site, as we do not have enough disk space for
everyone to suddenly create dump files of all of the databases on
mysql.ibiblio.org. If you use software like Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla
or similar, you can follow the instructions for backing up shown here:

 http://www.ibiblio.org/wordpress/

If you need simply instructions on how to back up your database from the command line, look here and scroll down to the center of the page under the heading "Using Straight MySQL Commands"
http://codex.wordpress.org/Backing_Up_Your_Database

Please note that users of mysql2.ibiblio.org are NOT affected by any
of the scheduled work, and will remain at 4.0.27 until mysql2's
upgrade to 5.0.

If you have questions or concerns, please do contact us via the help
form:

 http://www.ibiblio.org/help

--
ken

Ken Chestnutt
Linux Administrator
http://ibiblio.org

  • [ibiblio-announce] MySQL upgrade REMINDER for 0500 EDT 05/27/2008 -TOMORROW-, Ken Chestnutt, 05/26/2008