ibiblio-announce - [ibiblio-announce] CHANGE/OUTAGE: new LOGIN server at 09:00 EST on TUESDAY 11 DEC 2007

ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: ibiblio services/changes announcement list

  • From: Cristóbal Palmer <cmpalmer AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ibiblio-announce] CHANGE/OUTAGE: new LOGIN server at 09:00 EST on TUESDAY 11 DEC 2007
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 13:57:48 -0500

Greetings ibiblians,

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

* login.ibiblio.org moving to new hardware
* change will occur at 09:00 EST on 11 DEC 2007
* ALL LOGIN SERVICES UNAVAILABLE during this outage
* scheduled downtime is 30 minutes
* full login services should be restored by 10:00 EST
* login2.ibiblio.org going away at that time

FULL ANNOUNCEMENT

Next Tuesday we'll be taking down our existing login.ibiblio.org
server hardware. login2.ibiblio.org will also be going down. When
login services return, there will no longer be a login2.ibiblio.org
available. The hardware that was powering that service will then be
powering login.ibiblio.org.

Put another way, janice will become tribal.

If you've been using login2.ibiblio.org, after Tuesday at 10:00 EST
you should go back to using login.ibiblio.org. Your home directory,
mail, and other services will stay the same.

If you've been using login.ibiblio.org, all you will notice will be
an outage lasting approximately 30 minutes on Tuesday morning. After
that everything should stay the same. Hopefully you'll notice that
some things are faster because both the hardware and operating system
have been upgraded.

IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS after 10:00 EST on Tuesday the 11th,
please let us know by pasting a description of your problem into the
form at http://www.ibiblio.org/help/

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO HELP with this transition, please try logging
into login2.ibiblio.org and checking that everything that you normally
do with login.ibiblio.org works as expected. If you do find problems,
please let us know by pasting a description into the form at
http://www.ibiblio.org/help/

This change is part of our long-term upgrade plan that will
significantly improve the level of service that we're able to provide
to our contributors. We appreciate your patience during these
transitions.

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal Palmer
ibiblio.org systems administrator

  • [ibiblio-announce] CHANGE/OUTAGE: new LOGIN server at 09:00 EST on TUESDAY 11 DEC 2007, Cristóbal Palmer, 12/06/2007