ibiblio-announce - [ibiblio-announce] relief for our mail server

ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: ibiblio services/changes announcement list

  • From: Don Sizemore <dls AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ibiblio-announce] relief for our mail server
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 15:30:54 -0500 (EST)

Executive Summary:
-----------------

1) All folks using mail.ibiblio.org for their e-mail should make sure their login accounts aren't locked.

2) Spamassasin users should clean their user_prefs per Nic pioch's instructions (below, section 2).

3) All spamassasin users should be aware of the "spamassassin --lint"
command to check for config errors after every change to user_prefs
to help keep our spamd logs clean.

Full Text:
----------

Hi ibiblio-announce,

Since we've enabled network-based SpamAssassin checks on our mail server, we have enjoyed much more accurate spam assassination. Unfortunately the addition of the network check traffic, along with the additional NFS overhead (most mail is now going straight into spam folders instead of local inboxes) has translated into the mail server's network connection nearing saturation at peak times. In short, as you may have noticed, mail has been slow.

We're preparing to transition our e-mail service onto newer, beefier hardware, which will give us more inbox storage among other things, but will *not* address the throughput issue. As such, we are launching a three-pronged attack to reduce the network load on our mail server as it deals with an ever-increasing deluge of spam. We'll need your help.

1) Locked Accounts:
---------------
Many accounts that have long been locked on login.ibiblio.org are still accepting mail, and storing it. In February we will begin removing these accounts' entries from the mail server (NOT the stored e-mail), so that any account which has been locked on login.ibiblio.org will return a 'user unknown' error.

WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU:

If you use ibiblio for your e-mail or if your ibiblio e-mail is forwarded to another account, please take a moment to be sure your account is not locked by simply logging in to login.ibiblio.org. If you get a message that the account has been locked, drop a note to help AT ibiblio.org and we'll unlock it. If you need help logging in, please first check http://www.ibiblio.org/faq/?sid=2#1 or mail help AT ibiblio.org

Note that we're not actually deleting the e-mail (or your files) but only the line in our mail server's list of users. This means an easy fix if we remove your entry by mistake.

2) Spam Assassin configuration:
---------------------------

If you have set up spam assassin in the past, you may have customized it to suit your needs. Our resident mail master Nic Pioch recommends:

SA on ibiblio.org should run fine with a totally empty

~/.spamassassin/user_prefs

and I'd actually recommend disabling all possible "tweaks" you may have had to add in the past to compensate SA's ineffectiveness from the times where network tests were skipped...

Just keep your personal "whitelist_from" rules, and adjust your spam
tolerance as appropriate, for instance

required_score 3
score RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET 3

WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU:

Please do take a moment to examine your SpamAssassin preference file, and remove any customizations that you might possibly live without. Be sure to keep a backup copy, just in case. The network checks have turned our mail server into an effective assassination station, and custom rules serve to drive up the system load, and in some cases generate errors:

3) ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs Errors
-----------------------------------
We're seeing many and varied error messages out of spamd in our mail log. We will be addressing these on a case-by-case basis, first attempting to contact the user in question, then by simply commenting out the offending lines if necessary. These errors drive up the system load at least and can hang for long periods waiting on I/O at worst.

To check your SpamAssassin configuration, log in to login.ibiblio.org and:

$ spamassassin --lint

I hope this message doesn't come across as heavy-handed, as we are undertaking all of this in an effort to provide improved, more responsive mail service to our contributor community.

If you're worried about your entry on the mail server, take a moment to log in to login.ibiblio.org and make sure that your account isn't locked.

If you haven't set up Spam Assassin on your ibiblio account but would like to, please see http://www.ibiblio.org/spam/safirsttime.html

If you have any other questions or concerns, please drop a note to help AT ibiblio.org.

thank you, 919.962.5646 w
donald sizemore, ii 919.260.4915 c
ibiblio.org n stoof 919.962.8071 f

  • [ibiblio-announce] relief for our mail server, Don Sizemore, 01/31/2007