ibiblio-announce - [ibiblio-announce] mysql2.ibiblio.org scheduled downtime

ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: ibiblio services/changes announcement list

  • From: Don Sizemore <dls AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ibiblio-announce] mysql2.ibiblio.org scheduled downtime
  • Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 13:38:15 -0400 (EDT)

...though "The Myth of Sisyphus" may be a more apt title.

We are seeing intermittent memory problems on db2, the new machine powering mysql2.ibiblio.org. Unfortunately these problems did not manifest until the machine was under load, and we will not be able to further troubleshoot or address them without significant downtime.

To minimize the inconvenience to you, our contributors, we are rolling back to mysql2's former hardware tonight, beginning at 9:00 p.m. EDT tonight, October 27, 2006. We anticipate the outage to last about two hours, giving us time to dump the databases, run mysqlcheck and perform an incremental backup as we move back to the old server.

If the timing of this outage poses an insurmountable difficulty to you, please drop a note to help AT ibiblio.org and we'll work something out. As always, we apologize for the trouble, and thank you for your patience.

thank you, 919.962.5646 w
donald sizemore, ii 919.260.4915 c
ibiblio.org n stoof 919.962.8071 f

  • [ibiblio-announce] mysql2.ibiblio.org scheduled downtime, Don Sizemore, 10/27/2006