ibiblio-announce - [ibiblio-announce] report on last night's outage

ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: ibiblio services/changes announcement list

  • From: Don Sizemore <dls AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ibiblio-announce] report on last night's outage
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 13:52:04 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

Please accept our apologies for last night's web and ftp outage, which lasted from aproximately 8:40 p.m. EDT until just after midnight. The content management system of one of our virtually hosted sites was compromised, driving the load up on our vhost servers, and a simultaneous UDP flood threw our load balancers for a loop.

We're still in the process of cleaning all of this up, but our web and ftp services have been back up since midnight EDT and we've taken steps to ensure that this particular problem doesn't happen again.

A reminder on the importance of running current versions of software packages, and the benefits of healthy paranoia when considering file and directory permissions, group access, etc.

Thank you all for your patience through this, and an especially huge thanks to John Reuning, who graciously (and expertly) volunteered his services during last night's investigation.

Cheers, 919.962.5646 w
Donald Sizemore, ii 919.260.4915 c
ibiblio.org n stoof 919.962.8071 f

  • [ibiblio-announce] report on last night's outage, Don Sizemore, 07/10/2006