ibiblio-announce - [ibiblio-announce] IMPORTANT: PHP5 now available for testing on ibiblio!

ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: ibiblio services/changes announcement list

  • From: Jonathan Mills <jonmills AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: ibiblio webgroup <webgroup AT lists.ibiblio.org>, ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: "labratz AT metalab.unc.edu" <labratz AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: [ibiblio-announce] IMPORTANT: PHP5 now available for testing on ibiblio!
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 10:12:17 -0400

WHO:
This message is for anyone who maintains a site hosted by ibiblio, that uses PHP.  Anyone else may safely disregard this message.

WHAT:
ibiblio is in the midst of a huge upgrade to many of its systems:  new hosting service, new hardware, new software.  As part of our software upgrades, we are making the transition to Linux 2.6, Apache 2, MySQL 5, and PHP 5.

As you may know, there are some changes in PHP 5 which can break code written for older versions of PHP.  Naturally, we don't want to switch to PHP 5 all at once and have some of your sites adversely affected.  To allow you to test your code, we have set up a PHP 5 test server.

If you're familiar with our existing test server, the PHP 5 test server will work exactly the same way.  You can go to "php5.ibiblio.org/yoursite" or "your.domain.org.php5.ibiblio.org".

You can get detailed PHP info by going to http://php5.ibiblio.org/phpinfo.php

We encourage you to test your PHP for compatibility.  If you experience problems in PHP 5, you'll need to begin debugging your code.  We recommend reading over the following pages:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/faq.migration5.php
http://www.php.net/manual/en/migration5.php

WHEN:
ibiblio has not set a firm date for when it will switch to PHP 5.  One reason is that the change will depend on many other factors, including our migration to our new ISP.  Our best estimate is that it will take a few months; so, perhaps near the end of the summer.  When we actually switch to PHP 5, it will be running as an Apache 2 module.  PHP 4 will still be supported for another six months after the change, but will run as a fastCGI.

begin:vcard
fn:Jonathan Mills
n:Mills;Jonathan
org:ibiblio.org
email;internet:jonmills AT ibiblio.org
title:Linux Administrator
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1
end:vcard

  • [ibiblio-announce] IMPORTANT: PHP5 now available for testing on ibiblio!, Jonathan Mills, 06/01/2006