ibiblio-announce - [ibiblio-announce] ibiblio's new year and new times

ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: ibiblio services/changes announcement list

  • From: Paul Jones <pjones AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ibiblio-announce] ibiblio's new year and new times
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 16:31:28 -0500 (EST)

First, let me thank you all for your good work on your collections. You folks make ibiblio what it is -- in fact you make it possible. I hope we can continue to keep ibiblio evolving and growing so that we can continue to be the Public's Library and Digital Archives and to be an important part of the Knowledge Commons.

You will be noticing some personel changes, as some very good and dedicated folks move to new jobs and new interests and new folks are coming in to help out.

On December 28, Ken Chestnutt will join us as our new sysadmin. Ken has years of experience in managing high-demand systems and in managing remote data centers. Ken will be taking the position formerly held by John Reuning who left ibiblio in August for lulu.com. John has been helping out even at a distance and keeping at work on the osprey torrent.ibiblio.org project.

On January 1, Fred Stutzman will leave ibiblio to work on his PhD in Information Science full-time. Fred will keep a hand in the lyceum blogsphere project, lyceum.ibiblio.org. I feel certain that Fred will make significant contributions to the field of information science.

We'll begin looking for another sysadmin to join Ken in the new year. The HR process takes much longer than I would like and I'm applogize for any pain you feel as we work to fill these positions.

We have some great students continuing to work with us and some great new folks joining us. You'll no doubt hear from Janathan Mills, Sayan Chakraborti, John Bachir, Joey Carr, Kristina Spurgin, TJ Ward and soon Dan Lucas.

Several ibiblio alums have been helping out during our transitions. John Reuning, Donald Sizemore, Adriane Boyd, Miles Efron, Jason Moore, Nassib Nassar and others have been lending a hand and sharing their expertise.

I'll have more of a year end message in a few days, but I wanted to let you know that we are in the midst of changes -- all good I feel -- and that new faces and new ids will be communicating with you.

Again thanks and more to come,
Paul

Paul Jones
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation." Alasdair Gray
http://www.ibiblio.org/pjones/blog/
pjones AT ibiblio.org voice: (919) 962-7600 fax: (919) 962-8071

  • [ibiblio-announce] ibiblio's new year and new times, Paul Jones, 12/20/2005