ibiblio-announce - [ibiblio-announce] PEAR XML-RPC upgrade; PHP upgrade notice

ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: ibiblio services/changes announcement list

  • From: Fred Stutzman <fred AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ibiblio-announce] PEAR XML-RPC upgrade; PHP upgrade notice
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 14:50:37 -0400 (EDT)

1) Greetings, PEAR XML-RPC has been upgraded on the web servers, in response to current vulnerabilities recently disclosed. As of right now, we are running PEAR XML-RPC 1.4.0 stable. Applications that utilize PEAR XML-RPC will be affected. The changelog is linked below:

http://pear.php.net/package/XML_RPC/download/

Note: You must still upgrade your php-based web applications, especially DRUPAL. Many apps (non-exhaustive list) bundle an xmlrpc library with the software. Our core php upgrade may not fix your problem.

2) This also serves as a notice that ibiblio will be moving to PHP 4.4.0 in the somewhat-near future. This is the latest stable release, though it does look like it will be substantially rocky upgrade for some. I encourage users to look at the following pages so they can start getting up to speed on the changes that will be made:

http://www.php.net/downloads.php#v4
- IMPORTANT - http://www.php.net/release_4_4_0.php
http://www.php.net/ChangeLog-4.php#4.4.0

Once php is upgraded on the development server, users will have no less than 2 weeks to test and fix code for the upgrade. I am sending this out in advance so that developers can start creating strategies for the migration. You will be informed in another ibiblio-announce message when the new php is running on the dev server.

Thanks,
Fred

--
Fred Stutzman
Desk: 962-5646

  • [ibiblio-announce] PEAR XML-RPC upgrade; PHP upgrade notice, Fred Stutzman, 08/17/2005