ibiblio-announce - [ibiblio-announce] Upcoming Postfix upgrades on mail servers

ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: ibiblio services/changes announcement list

  • From: John Reuning <john AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ibiblio-announce] Upcoming Postfix upgrades on mail servers
  • Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 14:46:49 -0400

What: Postfix will be upgraded on lists.ibiblio.org and mail.ibiblio.org
When: Tuesday, 10 Aug 2004, 9 AM EDT (lists.ibiblio.org)
Tuesday, 17 Aug 2004, 9 AM EDT (mail.ibiblio.org)

As part of a normal maintenance cycle, we plan to upgrade Postfix, the
mail server (or MTA) software, on lists.ibiblio.org and
mail.ibiblio.org. No major configuration changes will be made, and we
do not anticipate a significant interruption to service. Downtime
should be 20-30 minutes for each system.

However, this is a major version upgrade (1.1.13 to 2.0.16), so you may
notice a slight change in behavior in mail delivery. Bounced messages
or errors may be presented or worded in a different way. We have
already upgraded the system that handles email for RT, our help
ticketing software, and have not seen any problems. The week delay
between upgrading lists.ibiblio.org and mail.ibiblio.org will hopefully
give us time to find and correct any oddities.

On the bright side, the new version of Postfix contains many new
features that should help us fight spam on a more fine-grained level.
If you have any problems or questions, please email help AT ibiblio.org.

Thanks,

-John R.

  • [ibiblio-announce] Upcoming Postfix upgrades on mail servers, John Reuning, 08/04/2004