ibiblio-announce - [ibiblio-announce] request: home directory renewal pruning

ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: ibiblio services/changes announcement list

  • From: Don Sizemore <dls AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ibiblio-announce] request: home directory renewal pruning
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 11:37:46 -0400 (EDT)

hello all,

it's that time again - despite our hardware upgrades and increased
disk, the collective size of our home directories came near to the
partition's capacity this month.

we have mailed our "top 25" separately and have already reclaimed a
significant amount of space. still, we would greatly appreciate each
of you, our cherished users, taking a moment and removing old, unused,
or no-longer-needed files from your home directories.

you may find the size of your home directory by logging in (via ssh
or telnet) to login.ibiblio.org and issuing:

$ du -sk .

you may find your largest files / directories by issuing:

$ du -sk * | sort -n

file and directory size will be returned in kilobytes and so you
should prepend three zeroes for an approximation of disk usage. if
you are unfamiliar with UNIX commands you may find it easier to use an
ftp client or ssh file manager to do the deleting.

thanks for your time :)

donald www.ibiblio.org
formerly known as SunSITE
919.962.5646 and stoof.

  • [ibiblio-announce] request: home directory renewal pruning, Don Sizemore, 06/12/2003