ibiblio-announce - [ibiblio-announce] Switchover to web cluster

ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: ibiblio services/changes announcement list

  • From: John Reuning <john AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ibiblio-announce] Switchover to web cluster
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 15:08:13 -0400 (EDT)

What: ibiblio main site services will be migrated to a web cluster
When: Monday, 16 June 2003, 9 am

I'm happy to announce that we will be moving the main ibiblio web site and
hosted domains to a new web cluster. This cluster is a set of 7 web
servers and redundant load balancers and will greatly improve the
performance and reliability of the ibiblio site. I'm sure you've noticed
that things have been sluggish in recent months.

We need your help testing as we make final preparations. Please use the
following URL to check your sites & collections:

http://www1.ibiblio.org/

We've resolved lots of issues, but we may have missed something. In
addition, several software packages (e.g. PHP, python) have been upgraded,
so testing for oddities is essential. We apologize for login.ibiblio.org
being out of synch with the new web servers. We're planning an overhaul
shortly after moving to the web cluster.

The main difference between the current configuration and the web cluster
is that multiple servers will be handling requests. If your web
application saves files outside of your /public/html directory, it may
cause inconsistancies between sessions.

If find an instance where your pages work on www.ibiblio.org but not on
www1.ibiblio.org, please send email to help AT ibiblio.org. We'll work with
you to solve these problems.

Thank you,

-John R.

  • [ibiblio-announce] Switchover to web cluster, John Reuning, 05/30/2003