ibiblio-announce - [ibiblio-announce] Change to apache user

ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: ibiblio services/changes announcement list

  • From: John Reuning <john AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ibiblio-announce] Change to apache user
  • Date: 02 Apr 2003 11:56:20 -0500

What: Change to apache user on www.ibiblio.org
When: Tues, 8 Apr 2003. 9:00 am.

We will be changing the uid and gid of the apache user and migrating
files and directories to match.

What does this mean for you? If you use a web application that allows
content management through a web interface (php website, php bb,
gallery, wiki, phorum, etc.) this will temporarily affect your site.
These applications will display file/directory permission errors when
modifying content until we complete the migration. When the migration
is complete, everything will be working again.

In most cases, availability of a web site will not be affected, only
updates to the content during the migration.

Want more info? Read on.

Currently, the uid and gid of the apache user on the ibiblio web server
is 60001. The reason for this is that it was never migrated from the
legacy SunOS standard to the RedHat Linux standard when ibiblio moved to
a Linux-based infrastructure.

In recent months, we've see various problems resulting from the
differences in the standard uid/gid numbers. To ensure that these
problems do not continue, we will be switching the uid and gid of the
apache user on www.ibiblio.org next week. After changing the apache
user, we will find and update all of the files and directories in
/public/html to the new uid and gid.

Thanks,

-John R.

  • [ibiblio-announce] Change to apache user, John Reuning, 04/02/2003