ibiblio-announce - [ibiblio-announce] Migration from Sendmail to Postfix

ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: ibiblio services/changes announcement list

  • From: John Reuning <john AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ibiblio-announce] Migration from Sendmail to Postfix
  • Date: 03 Nov 2002 10:00:43 -0500

What: Migration of ibiblio.org MTA from Sendmail to Postfix
When: Saturday, 16 Nov 2002, 9 AM - 10 AM EST

On Nov 16, 2002 at 9 am EST, we will be switching the MTA on
mail.ibiblio.org from sendmail to postfix. Postfix offers better
performance and security, and we hope that we can smoothly grow and take
on more email traffic as a result.

The ibiblio mailman server and the ticket tracking server have already
been migrated to postfix with good results. We anticipate that the work
will take roughly an hour to complete.

For those of you who use authenticated relaying (mail.ibiblio.org as
your smtp server):

We will continue to offer this service after moving to Postfix.
However, instead of sending easily viewable passwords across the
Internet, you will need to use TLS (encrypted connection) to send
messages through mail.ibiblio.org. There is currently a test smtp
server running Postfix mail-dev.ibiblio.org. If you use authenticated
smtp relaying, please try sending mail through mail-dev.ibiblio.org to
check for any problems with your email client application.

Thanks,

-John R.

  • [ibiblio-announce] Migration from Sendmail to Postfix, John Reuning, 11/03/2002