homestead - Re: [Homestead] Park Seed

  • From: <sgian AT netscape.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Park Seed
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 09:14:25 -0700

>I don't know anyone who has not planted Park seeds. I didn't know they
were bankrupt

This has already happened to a number of seedsmen including Gurney's and
Henry Fields and others. Still going ofter they have been bought out but not
the same as when they were family run. I still have a type of lettuce
(Bronze Mingionette) and peppers (Tequila Sunrise) that I bought from Park's
at least 25 years ago and have saved seed from them ever since.

Many of the newer seed companies and the ones still run by families and small
groups offer a much larger variety of seeds than those companies of yore, and
they offer more OP stuff. Baker Creek, Nichols, Italian Tool and Seed,
Southern Exposure, etc. etc. have just done such a better job at providing
vegetable seed, it is small wonder, says I, that the old line is folding.

There's a sort of seed triage goes on here, and this time of the year we are
in the thick of it. First line of defense is to save our own seed. This
accounts for about 75% of all our seeds. Failing that, we look at the local
feed stores and produce stands. I understand that every part of the country
doesn't sport produce stands and that's a pity. Here they stock all the
local favorite seeds by the scoop or by the pound. Then the gardening
departments of the building suppliers and marts are scanned to fill in any
missing seeds. And THEN we see what we have not been able to get anywhere
else and put in an order to two or three seedsmen.

If we were cut off from all other sources of seed but our own saved seed, our
variety would suffer a bit and the potato crop would be somewhat diminished,
but we'd be OK. I certainly don't expect that to happen, but we'd weather it
if we had to.

James

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.