homestead - Re: [Homestead] Summer happenings

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Summer happenings
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 08:47:58 -0400

> Mostly, I'm writing about your onions. Last fall, I bought yellow onion
> sets and planted them in the ground on Nov 4. I got them at the feed
> store and they are short day. They never have bulbed up, so I am eating
> them as scallions.
> In early Spring, late winter, I planted a flat of Red Burgundy seeds.
> They came up fine and I transplanted them fine, but the largest one is
> only slightly larger than a quarter. I'm not sure what I did wrong.
> I guess I will plant more red onions in a month or so and hope that by
> this time next year they will make bulbs.

For the second year I bough Granex and some red onion plants at the feed
store and they all went to seed. I'm using them for green onions. I think
that they are short day. I need lond day or neutral.

I have planted Candy, a hybrid day neutral every year and it always makes
great onions. I got them in late this year, early April and they did fine.
Next year I plant the seeds on New Years day to have seedings ready to plant
out in March.

I planted the Elisa Craig (sp) and they have done real well also. This is
the first year on them.

I'm not sure what the sets are but they got planted in early March and have
done nothing. I'll eat them green.

Rob - Va