homestead - Re: [Homestead] taters......

  • From: Marie McHarry <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] taters......
  • Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 19:50:15 -0500

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 12:24 PM, Lisa Kae Van Meter Perry
<lisakvperry AT gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm wondering... since you can supposedly grow potatoes in straw, could I
> possibly put seed potatoes on the ground (some straw under them) in the
> dwarf apple tree area, cover them with straw and keep adding straw as they
> develop leaves? The trees don't produce much foilage. I'm trying to make use
> of that space to better serve our needs and save space in the existing
> garden bed for other veggies.

I don't see why not. An old fellow who does odd jobs and knows more
about gardening than anyone else I know told me years ago to put
potatoes on top of the ground and mulch them. I gave him tons of
composted manure (having used plenty myself); he was right about the
potatoes. You just pull the straw aside and pick them up.

Marie