homestead - Re: [Homestead] Goodbye Hello and a Squash question

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Goodbye Hello and a Squash question
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 15:20:06 -0400

Fritters? In my book you can't go wrong with anything fried.

On Jul 31, 2008, at 1:16 PM, EarthNSky wrote:

Well, friends, while I know that you guys would never abuse by privacy,
I don't like the fact that this group/our posts are searchable from the
world's largest search engine. So, in a weak effort for more
privacy(probably only keeping the honest folks honest), I intend to
leave the list and reincarnate my identity. I've been here so long that
you will have no problems recognizing me in my new identity, but I
request that you don't refer to me by my old name, my real name, my farm
name or any monikers like Bevstinator that might be cross linked in one
post.
Ok, so since I have been on vacation this week, I have been baking like
mad, making squash bread, squash muffins, etc. I've already put a bunch
of squash in the freezer, made squash casseroles, and now have over 20
loaves or equivalents of bread. All this from four squash plants-I had
10 minutes free last spring and went out and just poked some seeds into
the mulch. Voila, bountiful harvest of petit pan and crooknecks.
I grated the largest squashes and used most of that for the breads. I
ran out of pecans about halfway through(how the heck do you live in GA
and run out of pecans??) so I subbed on a batch or two using mixes of
sunflower kernels, flax seeds, sesame seeds, sliced almonds, and millet.
All of them turned out really well, so I say- don't be afraid to sub
out ingredients...my recipe was actually for zucchini bread, but not one
zuke was used in any of the 10 batches I made. Ok, on to my question...
I have about 4 cups of grated squash left. I can see the light at the
end of the tunnel...I don't want to make any more bread...I have plenty
of plain squash seasoned and frozen..no mas on the casseroles...what can
I do?? The only thing I can come up with is pancakes...anyone got a
recipe or any other ideas?