homestead - Re: [Homestead] Trader Joe's

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Trader Joe's
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2008 16:41:21 -0400

paxamicus AT earthlink.net wrote:
I've never been to a Piggly Wiggly, but the name makes me laugh. : ) I am afraid if I tried to go into a Piggly Wiggly I would be afflicted with a need to snort my way through the aisles making pig noises. If I go to a conventional store up here it's usually Giant, or their slightly cheaper little sister, Martin's. Neither inspires me to wiggle-y a non-existent tail.

Giant: Wear Green and walk through saying Fe Fi Fo Fum....
Martin's: Wear Purple and whistle.

The Pig is a second tier grocery store now, a bit above the wholesale grocers, but not up to Kroger and Publix stature. They are mostly independently owned and operated, and the ones around here are rather old fashioned-for people who still cook and bake....You can still see the butchers cutting meat, and they still know you by name because they will cut or trim meat for you. Paper bags are the standard, and you ask for plastic if you want that. There's only one aisle for international foods, and much of the produce is purchased from locals.
In the old days, the Pig was *the* store...along with A&P and Winn Dixie. Then came Kroger, and now Publix.. Thus is the South. I suppose I should include Bi-Lo and Ingles, but they, like the Pig, are second tier, too.

In Calhoun, we don't have a Publix, or any kind of club discount stores like Aldi's or BJ's or anything like Trader Joes etc. etc.
Kroger is expensive here, Walmart is too crowded, it's too hard to get in and out of the Ingles shopping center, and Wholesale Foods is more expensive...the Pig is my store because it is the cheapest, cleanest, and closest, and it feels like the stores I grew up with...

Bev

I was doing my buying in TJ's because the divine Miss M...(that would be my teenager) used to go to a fabulous school which just happened to be next door to it.
Now, Roy just combines a trip to his Yoga class with a coffee haul whenever we need it.

I'm looking forward to Gimme Coffee and the Ithaca Coffee Company and the Smart Monkey, though. My occasional pod-cast-grabbing-java-jolt is going to have variety!