homestead - Re: [Homestead] Useful homestead tool

  • From: "WF Smith" <mogrits AT gmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Useful homestead tool
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 22:44:10 -0400

> in the trenches (literally) four 12" tires would continually
> get stuck behind
> very tuff of sod or ridge of dirt. A wheelbarrow's one tire
> turns on any angle
> with no back tires to follow through, and the two wheeled
> cart's 26" wheels
> bounce over any such obstacle.

The tires are the same diameter as the tire on a contractors wheelbarrow. I
am sure you can attest to a time or two when you hit an obstacle with a
loaded wheelbarrow and almost pitched yourself into the load, or maybe you
know of someone who overturned a heavily loaded wheelbarrow while trying to
turn it. I'm not saying there aren't specific applications where one excels
over the other.

For the average homesteader, who wants raised beds to help them with garden
tasks now and as they get older, I see some utility.

> I've rigged standards on the bicycle cart (which also has a
> 2' x 4' bed, or a
> little larger) and can heap it up 4' to 5' high with light
> material such as
> hay or dried compost and it is easy to move and easy to negotiate.
>
> Four small wheels on irregular terrain, hmmmm .... raising
> an eyebrow here.

As you know from your usage of handtools and other manual labors, pulling is
always the preferred method of work over pushing. It is easier to control
your efforts, and easier to control the outcome. One rarely skins a knuckle
when pulling the wrench.