homestead - Re: [Homestead] Raised Bed Advice

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Raised Bed Advice
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 12:35:32 EDT

>> Staple them to the side, and that could stop any
> > soil from leaching out, although I don't think it would do anything to
> > Cu and As from leaching in.

The new treated lumber as As? I wasn't aware of that, I thought the only
treatment was Copper Naphthanate.

I wouldn't use it either, although the danger from leaching even from the old
quite toxic lumber is minimal.

I always mention this any time raised beds are discussed although it gets
little traction. Physical sides to the beds is entirely unnecessary. I
have
beds as high as 24" above the surrounding paths with no sides. Most of the
time
I like to keep the beds about 10" higher than the paths. In practice the
beds simply do not erode.

The objection is often raised that one loses that much planting space due to
the sloped sides. Not so, the sides are planted as well giving the bed MORE
planting surface than one with physical sides.

Not trying to disparage sides, but only to dispell the myth that they are
necessary.

James

Wife says it isn't worth it.

> > We have the cloth and the it is unfilled now. What are your
> > thoughts?

</HTML>