homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tools for homesteading

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tools for homesteading
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 06:55:56 -0700

Alas, TMEN has removed the photos
of the chicken moat that show the wood posts and elegant corner
bracing on that project.

My mistake. Starting at:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/multimedia/image-gallery.aspx?id=112728&seq=0

and then clicking down at the lower-right, they do have two more of my original photos,
which do show some of the wood posts. It is hard to see, but the outside corner posts are braced with horizontal beams and the inner corner post is joined by a loop of heavy wire that is twisted for appropriate tension. This shows on the drawing. This design proved to be solid as long as the moat was used. I eventually tore it all out and redesigned the garden. That's when I found the cedar posts to be all rotted away except for the skinny heart wood, with little red spikes pointing out, the former centers of branches. The whole thing had stayed solid because, as all fence builders know, two strong corners will hold up a long stretch of fence.

To make full disclosure, I must say that I dislike fences. I don't like building them, I don't like maintaining them, and I don't like having them impede my way. That is not why I don't raise large animals, but it is a bonus.