homestead - Re: [Homestead] Humanure (was Soil Remineralization)

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Humanure (was Soil Remineralization)
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 08:14:53 -0700

On Jan 28, 2008, at 7:49 AM, tom wrote:

Alas, it was not enough and when it
came down to it marital health demanded a flush toilet. The humanure
toiled sits in a corner in the basement (waiting for the day the
ancient septic system gives up the ghost and it gets another shot at
'life').

I do understand. Chris has lived with my system of outhouse and bucket toilet for a long, fair-trial period. I am now beginning a Bed House, a bedroom/bathroom/closet/laundry freestanding building connected to the front porch with a ten-foot hall/greenhouse. The impetus was the gentle-but-firm words, "I want a flush toilet." And so she shall have.

I am of course scheming. Her flush toilet (my bucket toilet will remain in the old bathroom) will flush into a now-laid three-inch sewer line and terminate two hundred feet later not into a septic tank but into a system yet to be designed and built. Right now there is a big hole in the ground. Are you familiar with John Todd's Living Machines? At worst I will build a cesspool of ferrocement. At best I will build a take-off on Todd's design, a long, serpentine channel of growing plants whose roots extract the nutrients, then get composted.