homestead - Re: [Homestead] farmers selling water

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] farmers selling water
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 20:43:34 -0800

Well, in that case I think we have a pretty good case to stop shipping water south AND to end the water subsidies they receive to get their irrigation water!!!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob" <becida AT comcast.net>

It was food being grown for fuel and now the farmers want to see their water.

Just read this...
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080125/D8UD540G1.html

>>FRESNO, Calif. (AP) - With water becoming increasingly precious in
California, a rising number of farmers figure they can make more
money by selling their water than by actually growing something.

"It just makes dollars and sense right now," said Bruce Rolen, a
third-generation farmer who grows rice, wheat and other crops in
Northern California's lush Sacramento Valley.
Instead of sowing in April, Rolen plans to let 100 of his 250 acres
of white rice lie fallow and sell his irrigation water on the open
market, where it could fetch up to three times the normal price.<<

Rob
becida AT comcast.net