homestead - Re: [Homestead] East Wind Commune

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] East Wind Commune
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 07:17:14 -0700

On Dec 4, 2007, at 6:47 AM, Tim Oppenheim wrote:

I was playing with Google Earth (and if you don't you should) and
came across the East Wind Commune in Southern Missouri. Some of you
old time hippies should know about it. What's the story?

East Wind is near Heartwood, well, about forty minutes away. I have been there several times. It is old enough that it is well established and settled down, having worked their way through the rough spots. Beautiful property; they own about a thousand acres. Lots of buildings. Unique concept: each couple/family has their own place but each individual also has a private room in one of the other homes, usually with a private entrance. They have a school and a large community garden.

East Wind leaders did a very smart thing years ago: they wrote a good business plan, borrowed a substantial chunk of money from our local bank, and over the years have developed a highly successful business making nut butters--something that makes them a good living. They have also made sandals and hammocks; I have a pair of their rope sandals, which are used during river floats as they are made of poly something that doesn't rot from being wet and is not slippery on rocks.

They are sensitive to the feelings of the greater community surrounding them. They keep a section of Highway 160 between Gainesville and West Plains free of trash. One of their members worked with my committee when we first started our county recycling program; I was the chairman; their representative, Alder, was very helpful.

It is not for me to live that close to so many people but if it were I might well live there. The other strong factor is that they share all resources. It is my understanding that if you move there you give all your resources, money, car, tools, etc., to the community. I think there are about fifty people living there now. New members have the advantage that they are moving into a viable society supported by a well-established business.