homestead - Re: [Homestead] Forget oil and housing, let's talk about water...

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Forget oil and housing, let's talk about water...
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 23:39:12 -0400

clhw wrote:
Well, it's been raining here, about 2 to 3 hours east of Bev, for most of a
day. Hard to call it rain: it's more like water is seeping out of the
clouds. But I did have to turn on my windshield wipers for a few minutes on
the way to school this morning. And you can get damp if you stand in it
long enough.

We got about 3/8" today, according to my rain gauge...maybe that's the ticket..start complaining about it and it rains..
It's a drop in the bucket for the problem though.
Lynn, go to this site: http://www.georgiaweather.net/

Click on climate, then precipitation, and a map of GA will show the average rainfall (1961-1990) Interestingly enough, there is a dry area around Atlanta. I wonder why...maybe all that pavement drying out the clouds??? Anyway, I am up in the NW corner, just above the 58 line.
On the same site, you can go to the Calhoun experiment station, which is about 6 air miles from here, and they show that we are 19.3 inches under normal. Last year, we were almost 6 inches under, but in 2004 and 2005, we were over by 8 and 10 inches..I guess we are just on the opposite of the bell curve, but it's still tough.

Bev

--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.