homestead - Re: [Homestead] Intentional Community EcoVillage

  • From: franksfarm AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Intentional Community EcoVillage
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 12:42:48 -0400

Hi Lynn,all

Lynn, I don't? disagree with some of your points. There's no doubt that we
all can live more simply,and even well if basic needs can be met,and one has
the "right" mindset regarding things!

Like you? I do not see many of these as hardships. But no doubt others will,
and do:)

Like Gene said many homesteaders are very independent minded, and would not
make good candidates for an intentional community, or EcoVillage,which
DEPENDS on cooperation,good will,and working for common good even when it may
vary from our own bent.

In fact so many issues need to be considered and agreed upon by consensus
that the process is often far too time consuming,tedious, and frustrating.

In fact the very term homesteading has so many shades of meaning that it
makes it very difficult to use generalities However most homesteading types
have far more goals, and desires in common than most. Nonetheless there can
be major areas of concern over subjects such as form of ownerships,
covenants, usage restrictions, capital requirements ,community goals etc. etc.

Don't think that there can ever be a "perfect EcoVillage". After all we are
all human. And what floats your boat may not float somebody else's:)

First you must be an advocate of this lifestyle, and an ardent supporter of
the design and vision, and then it's the diversity that creates the richness,
and the very fabric of the community. We can celebrate this diversity, while
still adhering to common goals, and vision.

Trade offs are a fact of life.

I view he EcoVillage as a haven and model for those who want to live
simply,in harmony with the nature,people by folks who share this passion, and
are willing to work towards the creation of a true community that embraces
our diversity,and strives to build a better place for themselves,their
families, and their neighbors:)

Such a place can also be a hub for local enterprises that support, and
improve the community. Enterprises like Community Supported agriculture,
Community Education, Services,Community Recreation etc.

And to me at least the quality of the planning, the holistic design of the
community, it's grounds and residences are an important part of creating such
a village.

that's all for now. Frank

AOL at AOL.com.