homestead - Re: [Homestead] Intentional Communities

  • From: KNat <knat AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Intentional Communities
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 07:11:54 -0500

Gene GeRue wrote:

The extreme care taken with planning and maintaining modern developments is imbued with the understanding that homogeneity helps to create and maintain value. Think of The Biltmore, Desert Ridge, Superstition Mountain, etc. While there is some spread in residence values, they are all of a common architecture and building quality.
But to base on creating and maintaining actual value, as we see it, not imaginary financial value isn't the picture quite different?
Monocropping people isn't a successful model for these times.
Looking at past models like "projects" to replace slums, success has been best when mixing in people who chose to come from lifestyles that included maintenance skills and self-ownership talents, with a deliberate community mixer system to have them exchange with those raised in tenancy.
Communities built by developers need to include diversity of inhabitants for an organic design or design appropriate decay, waste, rebuild sources to make up for it. Communities built by inhabitants need to be sufficiently diverse, beyond their common draw point. to self-organize balance.

Peace,
Kathyann, who spent part of childhood in one of Levittown's failures. (and other parts studying other communities in transition)

My personal opinion based on observation and reading
is that this is probably true though I have never done
any work that involved or required that information.
Van Dell