homestead - Re: [Homestead] Mulch

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Mulch
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 06:21:17 -0700

On Apr 1, 2007, at 5:38 PM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

I used to be a true devotee of Bro.
John Jeavons and dug those 4' wide 24" deep trenches with a shovel, (although
he too recommends loosening the bottom with a fork). Experience gave my
grave misdoubts about the use of such extreme digging.

Let us reason it out. What are the possible benefits of deep digging? I can think of superior drainage, aeration, superior root penetration. Anything else, save archeological finds? As James notes, four to six inches, certainly eight inches, is all most roots need. I grow nothing that needs 24" for roots. Seriously deep-rooted plants, say alfalfa, are very strong and push their roots through native, compacted soil.