homestead - Re: [Homestead] 1860s chicken coop

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] 1860s chicken coop
  • Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 07:50:04 -0500

I'm not a big fan of immobile chicken houses anyway, because chickens are very hard on plants. What they don't eat, they scratch up and dust in.
Moving their house periodically gives the old area a rest, and the birds new
pasture to work on. Modern electric netting is a real boon to chicken
farmers.

You are correct on all counts, Karen. But you do chickens commercially. If I were doing likewise I would have movables in a pasture. I use my hens to do work for me. The permanent yard slopes toward one corner. We throw scraps and garden waste in at the top end. By the time the stalks and poop make it down to the lower corner it has been thoroughly processed and can go directly into garden beds. The other way I used them for awhile was to do terracing across an old pasture. All that scratching is a large amount of work energy. It can be used.