homestead - Re: [Homestead] New trees was questions about safety in tornadoes

  • From: "Rob Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] New trees was questions about safety in tornadoes
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 07:30:05 -0400

The trees arrived today. I order bare root stock from Trees of Antiquity and
got real trees. They are more than 4 feet tall and STURDY. I've had a small
problem with sciatica these last few months, and my physical therapist (the
same one who restored my arm to full motion after I tried to rip it off a
couple of summers ago) has advised me not to scrub my floors on my hands and
knees. Maybe this means that I should ask Mom if I can borrow her hired man
for a day, or two, to dig the holes? She always enjoys having someone else
pay him for a day or two.

Probably so. Remember the advice, " Don't dig a $1 hole for a $10 tree"? You might be accused of taking it literally if you are paying him :>) Seriously, no sense in injuring yourself or not getting the holes big enough.

I planted my trees a few weeks ago that were not huge, especially the root system. I have plowed up the area that they went in. It was quite a bit of work getting the holes deep enough in spite of the plowing.

I've seen their web site. So what varieties did you get?

Rob - Va