homestead - Re: [Homestead] Minimum acreage and thoughts

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Minimum acreage and thoughts
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 17:34:26 -0700

How much land would you consider the bare minimum to have a small garden (to feed 4/5 people), 4 or 5 fruit trees (semi-dwarf or reg.
apple/peach/pear), 30-40 blueberry bushes and a dozen +/- chickens?

All that and more can be accomplished on a fertile half-acre with intensive gardening. But it sounds like it would be more work than you and your husband want to do. I would let those boys develop a work ethic, contribute to the family larder and learn about self-reliance. If they are healthy enough for sports they are healthy enough to take care of chickens, rabbits and some of the garden.

Land is a good investment. Rather than sell, I would seek a way to cause it to carry the payments. Is it close enough to a market that would allow a CSA operation? Are there zoning restrictions? Can the land be subdivided?

Why have you been keeping the city house so far?