homestead - Re: [Homestead] Hillbilly

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Hillbilly
  • Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 15:04:52 EDT

>From Gene

> In respect to plaintiff's evidence that Minnie once referred to relatives
> of the plaintiff as hillbillies: We suggest that to refer to a person as a
> "hillbilly," or any other name, for that matter, might or might not be an
> insult

A certain faction of Scotsmen couldn't seem to get along with anyone, so wild
and heathen were they. During the campagin of 1690 when King William was
routing James II at the battle of Boyne, said Scotsmen were occupying the
mountians of Ulster. Supporters of King William often refered to themselves
as Billy
Boys and those Hielandmen who came down fromt the Ulster mountians in support
of King William were called the Hill Billies.

Alas, wearing out their welcome these Ulster Scotts (incorectly refered to as
Scotch-Irish) left Ireland and settled in the wild mountians of Appalachia
and over the next couple of centuries many of them migrated thence to the
Ozarks.

"Wha's like us? Damn few, and they're all a-deed!"

James