homestead - Re: [Homestead] Herding Dog

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Herding Dog
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 09:14:26 -0500

<<I've been offered an Australian Cow Dog. She's 2-3 years old and the
chemistry seems good. Anyone have experience to share with adopting a
herding dog? The relatiohship between a person and herd dog seems so
tight, I'd like suggestions on developing it. I also ned to fence some
more and am looking for what would be practical (I run sheep.)>>

I adopted a border collie when she was a year old, and if anything, she's
more loyal to me than her sister who came here at 6 weeks. I think herding
dogs do well if they go to a home with a job.

Generally speaking, a herding dog shouldn't be left with the herd or flock
because a driven one will be herding them all the time. I use my collies
with the goats only when they need herding; otherwise they are lawn
loungers. A dog that can be left with the herd isn't likely to be a good
herder.

Guard dogs don't herd (mostly they sleep in the shade), but if they detect a
serious threat, they often round their herd up and bring them to the barn.

A dog that has worked cattle will be rougher than one who has worked sheep
or goats -- it takes more aggression to handle cattle -- so you'll want to
correct nipping and gripping behavior immediately when it happens.

Just a few thoughts,
Marie