homestead - Re: [Homestead] tvo post Jan 02 -Four-layer sheet mulch

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] tvo post Jan 02 -Four-layer sheet mulch
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 18:28:00 -0700

The article mentions acidic consideration. What it does not mention is that appropriate materials for plants loving acidic soil include the various pine products, most notably pine needles, which I use as mulch under my blueberries.

The weed barrier consideration is important. Some of us may simply wish the weed seeds to germinate and then hand pull them from the moist, mulched soil, which is very easy. Some may wish to use the method of the California wine grape growers, who spread a clear plastic membrane, the soil heats, the seeds germinate, the sun then cooks the sprouts under the plastic and heats the soil to several inches, then the plastic is removed from the sterilized soil.

Experienced gardeners understand that the first picking or killing of weeds is just that, the first. The first-year weed-free garden will be visited by the winds and the birds, both of which will carry new seeds into the garden. A well-mulched garden can easily be kept under control, however, by the morning visit during which new weeds are easily pulled and tossed onto the top of the mulch, there to dry in the sun.

As one's garden grows in size, the most challenging task is to gather sufficient organic materials for garden mulch. My view of it is that the only sensible answer is to grow your own. Bringing in materials from outside the homestead is problematic and unsustainable. Some will remember my tale of woe over the Johnson grass infestation which I may never eliminate that came in on rotted hay from a nearby horse farm.

The harvesting of mulch material is the devil of the details. James has it right with his scythe but such work pains with age. At Heartwood I use a riding mower on about four acres of pasture and what we euphemistically call the yard--hah!--that vast expanse of what Nature provides, what grows well there through the many climatic conditions, of which urbanites and suburbanites would raise their noses and snort, "weeds!" My favorite mowing time is in the autumn, after the mostly oak leaves have fallen and dried. This last mowing of the year provides a wonderful mix of grass and chopped leaves, close to a perfect nitrogen-carbon mix and the dried leaves keep the whole loose and fluffy.

A riding mower uses gas and it is noisy and I wish I could develop a better system. So far I've not found one.