homestead - Re: [Homestead] Calf Roping

  • From: <shepperd AT austincc.edu>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "Steve Oliphant" <steveo AT crecon.com>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Calf Roping
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 03:59:44 -0000

Steve,

Very good explanation. That is how a ranch hand would do it on the ranch.
The piggin' string is tucked under the belt. It has a loop on one end, which
is placed around one leg before wrapping around three legs. Secure it so it
won't come loose until you are through branding and turning the bull calves
into steers.

Rodeo ropers often carry the piggin' string in their teeth. The calf only has
to stay tied for from 3 - 6 seconds, depending on the level of the rodeo, so
just wrap the string around the legs twice - no need to use a loop, and end
with a half-hitch (hooey) on one leg. There is no rules to wrap twice, but
one time around may not hold the calf long enough.

Jerry S.