homestead - [Homestead] Leggy Basil Seedlings

  • From: "Chris Clarke" <hstead AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Leggy Basil Seedlings
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 12:33:38 -0500

Folks,

I decided this year I was going to do it right, and
start my seeds early enough to be useful... nothing like
thinking about seeds in April. Well, I started about 25
basil seeding in a nice little Jiffy peat tabs about three
weeks ago. The package of seed said it would take about
7 - 14 days to germinate. Well, it didn't. It took all
of about 18 hours. Seriously. They had already germinated
by the time I got home the next day. However, since then,
they haven't grown well. I am only putting them in a sunny
window (no lights), but they have only just now gotten their
first set of real leaves. They are skinny, tall, slightly
pale plants, all of which suggest that they need more light.

Does anyone have advice on what I can go to get
faster growth? Is that normal growth?

Thanks,

Chris