homestead - Re: [Homestead] Here's the crux of the matter...

  • From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Here's the crux of the matter...
  • Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 22:42:34 -0800

RayZentz AT aol.com wrote:

Ray Well, it’s here – the 2004 Election – the election that historians will look back on and say was the turning point in the first war of the 21st century. They may even call what we’re living in the Third World War. Either way, whether we realize it or not, we are living in the midst of a global war – a war not just against terrorism but against a religious ideology that views America and the Judeo-Christian worldview as the “great Satan.” This war began in earnest on September 11, 2001. Rightfully, America took the lead in this war and just a few years after 9/11, Americans have the opportunity to go to the polls and either affirm the aggressive war against terror or choose another undetermined path.

tvoivozhd---we don't have an aggressive war against terror, because we have the most incompetent military leader I have ever seen since Neville Chamberlain---one who violates every military precept known---the preponderance of force foremost among them, and absolute zero regard for the most elemental things such as protecting unarmed truck convoys---(we won't have all the Humbee's armored until the middle of 2005. As I have also said before, I have court-martialed men a lot less criminally negligent than Bush---I would have him serving twenty years ar hard labor for dereliction of duty in Iraq. He is so bad that you could take a wino off the street and expect him to do no worse, and probably a lot better.

Let’s make no mistake about what is at the heart of this election. The historians will not mistake its meaning. Historians will also likely note the great cultural divide in America right now – so many hinge issues reflected in the red and blue states and the county map from 2000 that revealed two Americas – the liberal urban centers and the vast grassroots heartland. As in the war against terror, the cultural divide is really a philosophical struggle between conflicting ideologies: secular liberalism against faith-based conservatism. I believe that’s what historians will write about. Two struggles; one the early stages of a global war and the other the turning point in a cultural transformation. And Americans today will make the call.

tvoivozhd---there is no aggressive war against terror, because as I have stated often before, we have "allies" whose interests diverge from our own. They will cooperate only on the rare occasions when terrorists threaten their government---they couldn't care less about ours.. That is not often enough or serious enough to realistically justify calling them allies. Ideological wars take a long time to burn out---it isn't that long ago that Christians were burning and drowning "witches", and the text they hugged to their chests was Malleus Malificarum.

"Secular liberalism" against faith-based conservatism is a buzzword phrase that implies only a hot-eyed Christian Fanatic will resist terrorism by whatever means is available to us---and people who see through the weak-minded religious mindset won't fight at all----that is a bunch of ideological swill too---we did quite well in WWII without having preachers and priests at our side giving us Christian pep talks in a firefight.

THE
MALLEUS MALEFICARUM

of Heinrich Kramer and James Sprenger

/ Unabridged online republication of the 1928 edition. Introduction to the 1948 edition is also included.
Translation, notes, and two introductions by Montague Summers. A Bull of Innocent VIII. /

# The Malleus Maleficarum <http://www.malleusmaleficarum.org/mmtoc.html>
# Search the Malleus
<http://www.malleusmaleficarum.org/cgi-bin/search/search.pl>
# Introduction to Online Edition
<http://www.malleusmaleficarum.org/mm00a.html>
# Introduction to 1948 Edition
<http://www.malleusmaleficarum.org/mm00b.html>
# Introduction to 1928 Edition
<http://www.malleusmaleficarum.org/mm00c.html>
# A Note Upon the Bibliography
<http://www.malleusmaleficarum.org/mm00d.html>
# The Bull of Innocent VIII <http://www.malleusmaleficarum.org/mm00e.html>
# Letter of Approbation <http://www.malleusmaleficarum.org/mm00f.html>
# News & Updates <http://www.malleusmaleficarum.org/updates.html>
# Downloads <http://www.malleusmaleficarum.org/downloads/index.html>
# Message Forum

# Buy The Book <http://www.malleusmaleficarum.org/purchase.html>
# Write Us <http://www.malleusmaleficarum.org/writeus.html>
# Disclaimer <http://www.malleusmaleficarum.org/disclaimer.html>

Saint Magdalen by Peter Paul Rubens

/The Malleus Maleficarum/ (/The Witch Hammer/), first
published in 1486, is arguably one of the most infamous books ever
written, due primarily to its position and regard during the Middle
Ages. It served as a guidebook for Inquisitors during the
Inquisition, and was designed to aid them in the identification,
prosecution, and dispatching of Witches. It set forth, as well, many
of the modern misconceptions and fears concerning witches and the
influence of witchcraft. The questions, definitions, and accusations
it set forth in regard to witches, which were reinforced by its use
during the Inquisition, came to be widely regarded as irrefutable
truth. Those beliefs are held even today by a majority of Christians
in regard to practitioners of the modern “revived” religion of
Witchcraft, or Wicca. And while the /Malleus/ itself is largely
unknown in modern times, its effects have proved long lasting.

At the time of the writing of /The Malleus Maleficarum/,
there were many voices within the Christian community (scholars and
theologians) who doubted the existence of witches and largely
regarded such belief as mere superstition. The authors of the
/Malleus/ addressed those voices in no uncertain terms, stating:
/“Whether the Belief that there are such Beings as Witches is so
Essential a Part of the Catholic Faith that Obstinacy to maintain
the Opposite Opinion manifestly savours of Heresy.”/ The immediate,
and lasting, popularity of the /Malleus/ essentially silenced those
voices. It made very real the threat of one being branded a heretic,
simply by virtue of one's questioning of the existence of witches
and, thus, the validity of the Inquisition. It set into the general
Christian consciousness, for all time, a belief in the existence of
witches as a real and valid threat to the Christian world. It is a
belief which is held to this day.

It must be noted that during the Inquisition, few, if any,
real, verifiable, witches were ever discovered or tried. Often the
very accusation was enough to see one branded a witch, tried by the
Inquisitors' Court, and burned alive at the stake. Estimates of the
death toll during the Inquisition worldwide range from 600,000 to as
high as 9,000,000 (over its 250 year long course); either is a
chilling number when one realizes that nearly all of the accused
were women, and consisted primarily of outcasts and other suspicious
persons. Old women. Midwives. Jews. Poets. Gypsies. Anyone who did
not fit within the contemporary view of pieous Christians were
suspect, and easily branded "Witch". Usually to devastating effect.

It must also be noted that the crime of Witchcraft was not
the only crime of which one could be accused during the Inquisition.
By questioning any part of Catholic belief, one could be branded a
heretic. Scientists were branded heretics by virtue of repudiating
certain tenets of Christian belief (most notably Galileo, whose
theories on the nature of planets and gravitational fields was
initially branded heretical). Writers who challenged the Church were
arrested for heresy (sometimes formerly accepted writers whose works
had become unpopular). Anyone who questioned the validity of any
part of Catholic belief did so at their own risk. /The Malleus
Maleficarum/ played an important role in bringing such Canonical law
into being, as often the charge of heresy carried along with it
suspicions of witchcraft.

It must be remembered that the /Malleus/ is a work of its
time. Science had only just begun to make any real advances. At that
time nearly any unexplainable illness or malady would often be
attributed to magic, and thus the activity of witches. It was a way
for ordinary people to make sense of the world around them. The
/Malleus/ drew upon those beliefs, and, by its very existence,
reinforced them and brought them into the codified belief system of
the Catholic Church. In many ways, it could be said that it helped
to validate the Inquisition itself.

While the /Malleus/ itself cannot be blamed for the
Inquisition or the horrors inflicted upon mankind by the
Inquisitors, it certainly played an important role. Thus has it been
said that /The Malleus Maleficarum/ is one of the most blood-soaked
works in human history, in that its very existence reinforced and
validated Catholic beliefs which led to the prosecution, torture,
and murder, of tens of thousands of innocent people.

The lasting effect of the /Malleus/ upon the world can only
be measured in the lives of the hundreds of thousands of men, women,
and even children, who suffered, and died, at the hands of the
Inquisitors during the Inquisition. At the height of its popularity,
/The Malleus Maleficarum/ was surpassed in public notoriety only by
/The Bible/. Its effects were even felt in the New World, where the
last gasp of the Inquisition was felt in the English settlements in
America (most notably in Salem, Massachusetts during the Salem Witch
Trials).

It is beyond the scope of this article to adequately examine
the role of the /Malleus/ in world history, or its lasting effects.
At the very least, /The Malleus Maleficarum/ (/The Witch Hammer/)
offers to us an intriguing glimpse into the Medieval mind, and
perhaps gives us a taste of what it might have been like to have
lived in those times.

/- Wicasta Lovelace/