homestead - [Homestead] Is this legit?

  • From: VATOCO6 AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Is this legit?
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 06:17:03 EDT

And if it is, why have we heard nothing of it in the press?

The Global Defeat-Bush Network of Common Action to get 'Bush Off' in 2004

Discussions and Consents during World Social Forum
There was held a Workshop on 'Defeat Bush in 2004, Planning for a Global
Network of Action (Time: 1-4 PM on Jan 17, Venue: A27). In this workshop and
round
table thereafter, speakers, discussants and some participants representing
important organizations had a round table to push 'Defeat Bush' campaign idea
further. We arrived at the following consents.
1.We arrived at a clear conclusion that the global civil society should do
everything possible to get Bush off. Especially specific conjunctual and
symbolic actions should be taken by the global civil society in this year.
2. Our interest in Defeat Bush comes from the fact that Bush issue is not a
domestic affair of the U.S.A. but a global issue. In addition, considering
the
current globalization process which makes globality real, we agree that the
global civil society should intervene the American political society.
3. 'Defeat Bush' is an urgent task for all the global civil society
organizations to achieve, mainly because the world peace and people's
security are
being seriously threatened by unilateralism and aggressive militarism of the
Bush
Administration and Neo-cons. This campaign aims to not simply prevent
reelection of Bush but also to stand with and support democratic forces of
the U.S. to
fight against imperialist globalization.
4. This Defeat Bush campaign will help democratically oriented Americans to
make another America. The American citizens should recognize that the U.S. is
experiencing the serious political decline of republican tradition and
another
4 years with Bush surely make the U.S. the more isolated nation in the world
community.
5. We endorse diverse forms of anti-Bush and anti-war actions and campaigns.
Inheriting such efforts, we agree that we have to make a conjunctural
symbolic
common action in 2004, that is 'Defeat Bush' campaign. For this, union of
inner-American movements and union of outer-American global movements should
be
formed.
6. We will make an effort to make diverse organizations and campaigns
involved in anti-Bush campaigns come together to wield a substantial impact
on the
next election 2004 in the U.S.A.
7. As a part of it, we suggest an 'Another World is Possible' Network:
Network for Global Democracy', which reminds the slogan of the 4th World
Social
Forum, 'Another World is Possible' This network can be defined as new united
campaign efforts, rather than a new organization.
8. For facilitating this campaign further, we make a steering committee of
this Network and advisory committee. Temporarily the following figures join
the
steering committee, although it is open to newcomers. The advisory committee
will be organized in the way to invite respectful activists and
intellectuals.
Walden Bello(Focus on the Global South), Joseph Gerson(the U.S.A.), Chandra
Muzaffar(International Movement for a Just World. Malaysia), Muto Ichiyo(Asia
Peace Alliance. Japan), Robert Reyes(GOMBURZA. Philippines), Ruth
Russell(Australia Peace Committee), Marinella(BoycottBush-Campaign for
Another America,
Italy), Pol D'Huyvetter(For Mother Earth. Belgium), Seung Kuk Kim(Solidarity
for
Peace and Reunification of Korea), Hee-Yeon (Tele) Cho(PSPD), Lawrence
Surendra(Law School, Univ of Bangalore. India), Achin Vanaik(India), Olga
Lucia
Ramirez(Pacific Route of Women, Columbia)(a few were not confirmed in their
will to
join).
9. Following the spiritual orientation of World Social Forum(Another World is
Possible), we try to expand orientation of the Defeat Bush campaign(Another
America is Possible) to driving force of change in individual societies, like
Another Korea is Possible.

Rationale of the Global Defeat-Bush Network and Common Action:
As of today, the worldwide social movements are confronted with two
challenges coming from the 'armoured globalization'. The struggles against
the armored
globalization proceed in diverse forms. The anti-Bush struggle is a very much
symbolic case against the armored globalization, because the Bush
administration is in the forefront to perform this kind of policing the
capital-driven
globalization in a very much aggressive militarism. Responding the this Bush
Administration, we want to encourage divers forms of anti-Bush struggles
including
'Defeat-Bush campaign'(or 'Another American is Possible' campaign) in the
presidential election 2004 in the U.S.A. Defeat-Bush campaign is a kind of
global
campaign against Bush, which includes a formation of united global campaign
to defeat Bush in the election 2004 and topple him from the presidency, based
on forming cross-border solidarity of American and non-American social
movements to get 'Bush Off' in the next election. It means also an
intervention of the
global civil society in the American political society, signifying a new
stage of a progressive intervention in a nationally bounded election process
from
global civil society, based on a trans-border solidarity. Concretely, this
strategy aims to transform current diverse anti-Bush campaigns to concrete
electoral campaign for influencing real voting behavior of American voters.
Based on
this kind of rationale, we endorse forming the 'Global Defeat-Bush Network'
and organizing common action for 'Bush Off' in the presidential election
2004.
This network will result, first of all, in sharing of information about
diverse Anti-Bush, Defeat-Bush and Boycott-Bush campaigns, performed by
diverse
organizations all around the world. In addition, it will bring with it
maximization of effects of individual campaign against Bush by way of
totalizing them and
making a synergy effect. This global unified campaign can appeal with huge
impacts to American voters and global citizen not as individualized actions
but
a unified common action. This campaign will be expected to bring a real
impact in removing a real threat to the world peace by way of getting 'Bush
Off'.

Slogan
Main Slogan: "Another America is Possible"
Other Slogans:
The World is better without Bush
4 Years is enough
Unite to Defeat Bush
Vote for Peace, Not War

Possible Common Action Programs (to be discussed)
A. Possible On-line campaign strategies:
1. Defeat Bush' Day and Common Action on A Certain Day(Sep or Dec), which can
be connected to anti-War Peace action day.
2. Furthermore, if possible, Washington March of Global Civil Society in
which Anti-Bush groups and individuals come together.
3. Holding of Workshop in which organizations involved in Anti-Bush or
Defeat-Bush, Boycott-Bush come together to share strategies and discuss over
future
common action strategies(during the first part of the year 2004, during the
Period of Nomination Caucus of Republican and Democratic Parties) on the
condition that funding is possible.
4. Announcing 20 Reasons for 'No-Bush' or 20 Reasons of Bush' Threat to
global democracy.
5. Encouraging diverse groups to announce 'Anti-Bush' or 'Defeat-Bush'
Declaration, including Nobel Peace Prize winners, respectful intellectuals,
Reverends, Environmental Activists, Women's groups and etc.
7. Performing diverse events including 1 person Demonstration in consecution
in front of White House.
B. Possible On-line campaign strategies:
1. Campaign for Sign Up of Anti-Bush in Every Affiliated Organizations'
Internet site and Totalizing of them.
2. Campaign of Appeal to American Youngsters not to Vote for War from
youngsters of diverse countries.
3. Campaign for Making open Promise not to Vote Bush by American Voters.
4. Campaign of sending 'I vote for Peace' Relay-Letters via internet .
5. Declaring the Day of Appeal to American voters on internet .
6. Appeal to Ethnic Groups in the U.S. from the Ethnically related
countries(e.g. From Korea to Korean community in the U.S.).

Organizations which co-hosted the 'Defeat-Bush workshop' and endorse the
'Global Defeat-Bush' campaign
Focus on the Global South, APA(Asia Peace Alliance), International Movement
for a Just World, LOCOA(Leaders and Organizers of Community Organization in
Asia)Act Up. Task Force Detainees of the Philippines
Korea Social Forum Network, PSPD(People's Solidarity for Participatory
Democracy), Korean House for International Solidarity, Korean Progressive
Academy
Council, Korean Professors Union, Association of Professors for a Democratic
Society, Korean Federation of Environmental Organization, National
Association
for Democracy and Reunification in Korea, Alliance for Reunification,
Solidarity
for Peace and Reunification of Korea, Position 21: Alternative Policy Forum,
National Reconciliation Self-reliance and Reunification, Christian Institute
for the Study of Justice and Development, Solidarity for New Society,
National
Committee for Revealing the Truth of Genocide during the Korean War and
others.
P.S.
Boycott-Bush group(52 European organizations affiliated) organized another
workshop. Defeat-Bush workshop organizing group and Boycott-Bush group met
each
other and shared that they have been doing the similar campaign achieving the
same aim in differen ways. These two groups discussed over suggesting, to the
global civil society, formation of the 'Global Defeat-Bush Network(or Global
Boycott-Bush Network)’ and performing possible Common Action, in the co-name
of
Boycott-Bush and Defeat-Bush networks. Boycott-Bush group and Defeat-Bush
network group is doing an internal discussion.

Organizations supporting the Boycott-Bush are as follows.
Australia
Not in our Name, FOE Sydney, Peace-Action, Women for Peace:No Weapons NO Wars

Austria
Global Mothers-Women in Action for the Environment and Peace
Kingdom of Bahrain
Environment Friends Society
Belgium
Animo, America Watchers vzw, Association des Marocains pour la D fense des
Droits de l'Homme, Attac Vlaanderen, Chiro Heirnis Macharius, CNCD 11.11.11,
CODIP vzw Centrum voor Ontwikkeling, Documentatie en Informatie Palestijnen
D veloppement Solidaire Europe Maghreb, European NGO Council on Drugs
Fondation de la Communaut Arabe de Belgique, Forum voor Vredesactie
Imagine nv. communicatiebureau, International Peltier Forum, Jongagalev
Hasselt
JNM Jeugdbond voor Natuurstudie en Milieubescherming, KAJ vlaanderen, KOLA
KWIA,supportgroup for indigenous peoples, KP Kommunistische Partij, Mouvement
Chr tien pour la Paix, Mouvement Citoyen Palestine, Menteb.org, Open Grenzen
Kempen-Turnhout
Oxfam Wereldwinkel Gent Centrum, Oxfam Wereldwinkel Gent West, Oxfam
Wereldwinkel Herzele, Pro-Paz Colombie, phoenix angel, Radio Al Manar,
Squatcentonze,
't Uilekot
Voor Moeder Aarde, Vrede vzw, Vredeseilanden Aalst, De warempel bvba - Gent
Brazil
C.A. de Biologia
Canada
Barnard-Boecker Centre Foundation - Victoria, Barrie Peace Alliance -
Ontario, Victoria Peace Coalition
Colombia
Cajadepandora - Bogota, Grupo estudiantil REPLICAS
Croatia
Women's Action of Rijeka
Cyprus
Friends of the Earth Cyprus
Denmark
The United Peoples
Egypt
NGO Boycott Coalition

Sociologist without borders | Sociólogos sin Fronteras 2004

For more information on the U.S. chapter, contact
Judith Blau: jrblau AT email.unc.edu

  • [Homestead] Is this legit?, VATOCO6, 10/01/2004