gmark - Re: [GMark] characterization of the disciples suggests un-Judaizing intent, possible strong connection to Paul. Would value discussion.

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: George Young <webber_young AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [GMark] characterization of the disciples suggests un-Judaizing intent, possible strong connection to Paul. Would value discussion.
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 08:04:24 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Tanna:

Hello. I am new to this list too. Has anyone
responded to your email? If not, I would be delighted
to discuss some of your ideas. If I understand you
correctly, the one question you have posed to the list
is the matter of dating the Gospel of Mark, given its
elusive yet intriguing affinities with the Apostle
Paul's letter to the Galations. This is a very
interesting question indeed!

What are your own speculations regarding the dating of
the Galatian's Letter? I tend to date the Epistle as
somewhere around 50 AD. Certainly the Galatians were
aware of many things pertaining to the WORD,
including, for example, the knowledge of Peter, James,
John, as well as some of the teaching of Jesus
regarding the Parable of the Sower and that Jesus was
announced at the empty tomb as "the crucified One."
Furthermore, it is highly probable that a copy of the
WORD that we know as the Gospel of Mark was written
down before their very eyes. These and several other
details suggest to me that the Gospel of Mark was
probably written somewhere between 35 and 45 AD, and
probably by an eye-witness to the events described.
What do you think?

Sincerely,

Webber Young.