gmark - Re: [GMark] Jesus' sacrifice vs. the High Priest

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: George Patton <gpatton AT bayou.com>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [GMark] Jesus' sacrifice vs. the High Priest
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 22:12:19 -0500

Vince Endris wrote:

GMark list,

I have recently been reading on the second temple and cult. It seems that there was a widespread dislike of the priests - that they were no longer legitimate and, as with the DDS, that they were profaning the temple. This might have been the historical Jesus' reason for overturning the tables (Sanders). It struck me that Mark having the vale tear (I am assuming he meant the inner vale) might be suggesting that the atoning sacrifice offered by the high priest was not sufficient but Jesus' was. This might account for the popularity of nascent Christianity. Is this a valid argument for what Mark is trying to say? Do you know of anywhere else I might look for evidence of this interpretation?

Vince Endris

I think that the tearing of the temple vale is a literary reference to Mark 14:62-64. The priest tore his robes (from top to bottom) and said "blasphemy" at the wrong time. And in Mark 15:38 God tore his robe(from top to bottom), which suggest that God was saying , "blasphemy" at the right time.

George M. Patton