gmark - "Churlish"

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Eric Eve" <eric.eve AT harris-manchester.oxford.ac.uk>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <GMark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: "Churlish"
  • Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 10:28:13 +0100

JEFFREY GIBSON
It seems to me a bit churlish on your part

JOE ALWARD

"Churlish": Of, like, or befitting a churl; boorish or vulgar. Rude.
"Churl": A rough, surly, ill-bred man; a boor.

I believe that debate can and should be conducted without reference to the
personal characteristics of one's opponent, Jeffrey. It is perfectly
acceptable in argument to make an uncharitable characterization of an
opponent's argument, but it is not considered polite or professional to make
that type of reference about the person. I don't like being told I am
boorish, vulgar, and ill-bred, and won't tolerate any further personal
attacks from you.

If I had used that word in reference to you, I would fully have expected to
hear from one of the moderators, cautioning me to moderate my tone, and to
remain civil. You are the owner of the list, so I expect that no rebuke
from
them will follow. Nevertheless, if you expect to be treated as the
professional I think you are, I expect you to apologize, or else explain why
you should not.

ERIC EVE

Since Jeffery can hardly intervene as moderator on his own behalf in this
instance, you force me to do so.

The on-line OED defines "churlish" as, inter alia, "Intentionally boorish or
rude in behaviour; hard, harsh, ‘brutal’, surly, ungracious." In the context
of Jeffery's remark common sense would lead one to see that Jeffery intended
something in the range "hard, harsh, ungracious". To tell Larry that you
will not reply to his posts until you have learned Jeffery's views on a
range of questions could well be construed as implying that Larry's
arguments are not worth responding to in their own right, and such a
response could well be regarded as "hard, harsh or ungracious". It must be
completely obvious to every one else on this list that this is what Jeffery
meant and that there was no intention to characterise you as being "A rough,
surly, ill-bred man; a boor."

Therefore, no apology from Jeffery is called for.

This topic is now closed.

Regards,

Eric
Eric Eve