gmark - Mark's Gospel and the Homeric Epics

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: JFAlward AT aol.com
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Mark's Gospel and the Homeric Epics
  • Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 03:43:58 EDT

In a message dated 4/25/02 12:19:22 PM Pacific Daylight Time,

Steve Black wrote:

Here is where I have more difficulty with Joe's hypothesis, because he posits
no reason other than the fact that Mark wanted to tie Jesus together with the
OT. (I hope I haven't too grotesquely caricatured Joe's position.)

Alward responds:

Steve doesn't misrepresent my position. In several articles on my web site I
attempt to show that Mark evidently scoured the Septuagint for stories about
heroic figures whom he could have Jesus emulate, and then he adapted those
stories to fit Jesus.

Anyone familiar with Scripture in Mark's time could not have failed to
recognize that Mark's Jesus did things better even than did Moses, Elisha,
Elijah, David, and as well as the Lord himself. Thus, Mark repeatedly
provided "evidence" that showed that Jesus was as good as God, or even God
himself. But, is there evidence that Mark *also* wanted his readers to
compare Jesus to Odysseus?

Several articles detailing the case against Homeric influence in Mark's
gospels are found in the "Gospels" section of the directory on the web site
provided below.

Joseph F. Alward
"A Skeptical View of Christianity and the Bible"
http://members.aol.com/jalw/joseph_alward.html

  • Mark's Gospel and the Homeric Epics, JFAlward, 05/07/2002