gmark - RE: criteria for imitation.

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Dennis MacDonald" <dmacdon AT cst.edu>
  • To: 'Kata Markon' <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: criteria for imitation.
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 14:29:44 -0700

Steve, I agree, of course, that Mark uses the OT extensively, but I'll need
to think more about using that as a criterion. My main reason is that I
suspect that nearly all ancient narrative is mimetic to some degree, so
that saying that Mark imitates the OT may not help much with Homer. On the
other hand, you may be onto something.

Concerning the development of my criteria, the discussion of Latin poetic
imitation I mentioned is well treated in a book by Stephen Hinds on
Allusion and Intertext. It is true that the criteria he uses-similar to
mine-were to identify more subtle allusions, but they certainly work on all
forms of imitation, even blatant ones. His criteria are useful to correct
what he calls "philological fundamentalism" by which he means the
insistence that one demonstrate distinctive linguistic connects before
being willing to speak of imitation. Such rigorous criteria preclude most
ancient imitations. What do we do with Vergil's imitations of Greek authors
like Homer and Euripides? Vergil is but one of many examples one could
cite.

Dennis M.