gmark - Re: Mark without Q

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Ron Price" <ron.price AT virgin.net>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Mark without Q
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 21:31:07 +0000

Harry Staiti wrote:

>I am curious as to why Mark did not include the Q material we observe in
>Matthew and Luke.

Harry,
This is a rather strange statement.
Mark contains variants of about 25 of the sayings normally designated
as part of 'Q'.
So I think the question should be: "Why was he so selective?"

>There are the obvious distinctions between the Gospel of Mark and the
>Gospels
>of Matthew and Luke that may be of note.
> Matthew and Luke are positive about Peter and the Disciples
> Matthew and Like include the Q Material in their compositions.
>
> Mark is very pessimistic about the disciples from Galilee

This partly explains why he omitted so many sayings from the sayings
source, assuming we accept that the 'Petrines' and the 'Paulines' had
very different outlooks (c.f. Goulder). Thus, e.g., Mark may have
objected to the concept of "few" being able to enter by the narrow gate,
because the Pauline gospel, as Mark interpreted it in 10:45, was for
"many". Another example: Mark may have objected to the apparently
arbitrary selection in Q17:34-35 because, like Paul, he wanted to
emphasize the importance of faith in Jesus.

But another useful clue is to be found in how Mark redacts the 'Q'
sayings he *does* retain. Almost all of them have been deliberately
redacted to suit Mark's purposes. Two examples: (1) the addition of the
Pauline "and the gospel's" in Mk 8:35, (2) the change of the mission
instructions to read: ".....except a staff .....to wear sandals.....".
This contrasts with their relatively faithful treatment by Matthew and
Luke. Mark's lack of respect for the sayings he does retain, strongly
suggests that the others were available (either in his memory or in
written form) but rejected.

> Maybe Q is a compostion of sayings from one of the
>Galilean communities that were founded on one of the disciples?

On my Web site I go further than this and argue that the sayings
source (not Q as normally delineated) was produced in Jerusalem by the
original followers of Jesus.

Ron Price

Weston-on-Trent, Derby, UK

e-mail: ron.price AT virgin.net