gmark - Re: the function of the parables in Mark

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "David Watson" <dwatson AT mail.smu.edu>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: the function of the parables in Mark
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 11:18:48 -0600

The following list was posted by Loren Rosson III on the Xtalk e-group. I've
cut and pasted it here. Along with these, I would recommend the work of John
Donahue.
Best wishes,

David Watson
Graduate Program in Religious Studies, Ph.D. 4
Southern Methodist University
(214) 696-8481

Herzog, William: Parables as Subversive Speech, 1994.
(Resists both allegory and polyvalency -- even
metaphor -- in arguing that the stories exposed evil
by holding it up to light.)

Hultgren, Arland: The Parables of Jesus, 2000. (A
rather confessional approach to all 38 parables --
treats some as allegories, some as Kingdom-stories,
some as behavior models, etc.)

Longenecker, Richard (editor): The Challenge of Jesus'
Parables, 2000. (Gives the allegorical school of
thought its fair due.)

Scott, Bernard Brandon: Hear Then the Parable, 1989.
(Metaphorical approach steeped in the tradition of
Funk and Crossan.)

Shillington, George (editor): Jesus and His Parables,
1998. (A few allegorical approaches, and others which
engage Herzog's work.)

Wenham, David: The Parables of Jesus, 1989.
(Interprets the stories against the backdrop of the
imminent Kingdom. Metaphor and allegory can be found
here.)

And note that John Meier promises to give an account
of the parables in volume 4 of the Anchor Bible's
Marginal Jew series. (The theme of that volume will be
"The Four Enigmas Jesus Posed and Was" -- (1) Jesus'
teachings on the law, (2) his parables, (3) his
various titles and self-designations, and (4) the
riddle of his death.) Of course, we have a while to
wait for this.