gmark - Re: The Servant's Ear

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "George Mallory Patton" <gpatton AT bayou.com>
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: The Servant's Ear
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 18:27:47 -0400

> I forgot to mention the other possible source for Mark's description of the
> servant's ear being cut off:
>
> Then one of those standing near drew his sword and struck the servant of the
> high priest, cutting off his ear. (Mark 14:47)
>
> I will direct my jealous anger against you, and they will deal with you in
> fury. They will cut off your noses and your ears (Ezekiel 23:25)
>
> Joe Alward

There could be more than one way to look at Mark 14:27. I suggest that
also this could apply:
I suggest that, in Mark's view, God wanted the priest, who were
represented (or symbolized) by Judas and the servant of the high priest,
to listen to Jesus just as Aaron was to listen to Moses (Exod. 4:15,
27-28). The ears of the priest did not listen to Jesus. (In a way the
ears of the high priest did the high priest wrong. So one of the ones
standing by (an angel-like person) cuts off the offending ear (see Mark
9:43-47).
George Patton