gmark - Re: The Young Man

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "George Mallory Patton" <gpatton AT bayou.com>
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: The Young Man
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 22:49:36 -0400

> >Kym wrote,
> >I do not think that there is any need to connect the young man who fled
> >naked with the young man in the tomb.

Another point of view:
I suggest that the young man (Mark 14:51-52) symbolized the disciples of
Jesus. They had been called to follow Jesus, who was moving toward death
(being wrapped in a linen cloth) see Mark 15:46. When Mark wrote of the
young man: "having been clothed in a linen cloth over his naked (body)",
Mark was saying "God had assigned the disciples (symbolized by the young
man) to follow Jesus to his death" or to put it another way "God had
dressed the young man in a linen shroud". Several times in Mark's gospel,
Mark uses the passive perfect participle to suggest that God has done
something (Example Mark 1:6 where God has assigned a roll like that of
Elijah (II Kings 1:8) to John the Baptist). The disciples in their panic
choose to no longer follow Jesus but run away in shame (symbolized by the
young man running away naked).
The young man of 16:5 "having been clothed in a white robe" has been
"healed" and is no longer running naked, but God has clothed him and he is
in his right mind, having been clothed and sitting (somewhat like the
ex-demoniac in Mark 5:15 who was "sitting having been clothed and being
in his senses"). The young man at the tomb symbolized the followers of
Jesus who have understood Jesus' teaching and had returned to following
him.

George M. Patton
gpatton AT bayou.com

  • Re: The Young Man, George Mallory Patton, 08/11/2001