gmark - Re: Purpose of Mark

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "George Mallory Patton" <gpatton AT bayou.com>
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Purpose of Mark
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 13:17:45 -0400

> Rikki Watts wrote;
>
> >I argued that Mark's opening sentence, as was common in ancient
> >literature, set out his agenda (cf. Isa 40.3; Mal 3.1/Ex 23.20).
>
> Rikki,
> I like the idea that Mark's opening sentence set out his agenda.

I am of the impression that Mark's opening sentence acts something like a
title and is best understood in the light of his last sentence. From my
point of view, Mark's last sentence (16:8) seems to leave the gospel
unended, and rightly it should, as the first sentence does not say "The
complete gospel of Jesus ..." but rather "The beginning of the gospel of
Jesus...". So Mark believes that the gospel continued after the tomb
pericope of 16:1-8. Mark's account is only the beginning.
George Patton

  • Re: Purpose of Mark, George Mallory Patton, 08/12/2001