gmark - Re: Mark

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Rick Frommich" <eugor3 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Mark
  • Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 05:21:45

Rick Frommich asked about Mark 14.20: I can't check against the manuscripts, but Legg's information seems to be entirely accurate (on this occasion): R. Swanson, New Testament Greek Manuscripts, confirms the absence of EIS TWN DWDEKA in Codex M. A. Julicher / K. Aland, Itala, confirms the absence of unus ex duodecim from k. Peter Dr. Peter M. Head Tyndale House 36 Selwyn Gardens Cambridge CB3 9BA Tel: 01223 566607 Fax: 01223 566608 email: pmh15 AT cam.ac.uk

Dear Dr. Head,

Thank you for your speedy response. The above manuscripts, in my view, are supported by some other significant factors. First of all one of Mark’s earliest copiers, The compiler of Matthew, does not include the second occurrence of "eis twn dwdeka". Secondly, certain key words and phrases in Mark are placed strategically througout the narrative and counted. One such word is dwdeka. Now without going into great detail about how these words function in Mark’s narrative I will simply say that whenever the count is close to 12 or 7 or 4 I generally am inclined to investigate variant readings on these words or phrases. In this case I am highly inclined in the direction of M and k at verse 14:20. Trusting in the count of such an important word in Mark and that he would be consistent with his other patterns such as the word seven which occurs exactly seven times. as does the word Christ and Gospel and several others. At Mark 4:10 both the Matthew and Luke parallels do not include the word twelve. Several important witnesses including D omit the reference to the twelve at this verse. Matthew would have no theological reason to omit this reference as he copied from Mark, therefore, I conclude that the autograph or earliest copies did not contain the word dwdeka at 3:16 at 4:10 and at 14:20. All searches are done on the greek root. The occurences of Christos demonstrates that the longer ending of Mark is not original, however there is an intermediate reading which appears in k if I am not mistaken that could be original as it does not contain Christos.

Twelve

Mar 3:16

Mar 4:10

Mar 5:42

Mar 6:7

Mar 6:43

Mar 8:19

Mar 9:35

Mar 10:32

Mar 11:11

Mar 14:10

Mar 14:17

Mar 14:20

Mar 14:43

Pharisees

Mar 2:16

Mar 2:18

Mar 2:24

Mar 3:6

Mar 7:1

Mar 7:3

Mar 7:5

Mar 8:11

Mar 8:15

Mar 10:2

Christ

Mar 1:1

Mar 8:29

Mar 9:41

Mar 12:35

Mar 13:21

Mar 14:61

Mar 15:32

Seven…..

Mar 8:5

Mar 8:6

Mar 8:8

Mar 8:20

Mar 12:20

Mar 12:22

Mar 12:23

there are several more examples of this in Mark.

Thank you for your help in this matter,

Rick Richmond

  • Mark, Rick Frommich, 08/06/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>